Saturday, December 1, 2007


Day 3 (Saturday)

Scrapped the Scotland idea... I decided that black watch tartan would not photograph very well... and that this outfit may be a little too traditional ... and, in fact boring...
After discussing this with my daughter Vanessa (who is my confidant) I felt quite confident that I should change Susie's destination... :)
I mentioned to her about using LONDON and that I had this great small scale 'Burberry' looking plaid fabric... Her suggestion was to use the British Royal Guards as inspiration... I took off from there!
I would still use my jumper idea, but make a little Black lace cap sleeved tank to wear under it... some black fishnet stockings, and of course a RED military style jacket... It would be cropped to bring it up to modern standards as well as fit with the empire line of her jumper...
YES... this will work!

Day 4 (Sunday)

I cut out and made up the jumper today... I am extremely happy with the way it turned out... especially the fit... I have to say that Susie is THE smallest doll I have ever sewn for and I was intimidated by her when I first held her in my hands... what made her easier to work with was her articulation... thank goodness for that!
9 pm: Just finished up her little lace top and stockings... this is coming together nicely.
I added a little black patent belt with a gold buckle and I must say it's perfect!

Day 5 (Monday)

Stayed up most of the night working on the red cropped jacket... I was so inspired after fitting the jumper and lace top on her that I couldn't wait to get her jacket cut out and made up!
I decided on using a bright red cotton twill and black corduroy for the collar and cuffs...
Well... it is certainly TINY... and boy did I have a hard time turning the sleeves right side out!
I made up cuffs that were actually 'turned up'... but there was no way I could turn those sleeves right side out! ACK... so I ended up taking them all apart and adding a fake cuff to the bottom of the sleeve... it worked! I did have one little problem... I accidentally clipped the lining of the jacket near the sleeve and had to cut it away... there is just no time to re-make that lining!
I also customized some knee high red vinyl boots for Susie... These were originally Ru Paul's Thigh High boots... I cut them to the knee and added a black patent strap to the top with a gold stud... I'm happy I had these in the house, as I really didn't have shoes to fit her. Sometimes things just work out!

Day 6 Tuesday

Today was spent doing all the little 'details' that needed to be done to complete the jacket...
I sewed black/gold braid (which I braided myself) onto the cuffs and as a little belt on the back of the jacket... the epaulets are also made from the same braid... I added teeny tiny gold studs (brass buttons) down the front and on each end of the back belt, and the epaulets...
this took hours... I wouldn't want to sew for such a tiny doll exclusively!
Oh Man... I am thrilled with the way this Jacket came out! I haven't been this excited about an outfit I have made in this competition... I think the biggest thrill for me is that I made it fit so well too... :)
7 pm
Just finished up a hat for Susie... I wanted a hat that would mimic the 'Bear' fur hats that the Royal Guards wear... I decided on a 'poorboy' style cap that would also relate to the MOD style of London... I wasn't sure how to make this up and keep it so fitted... but... It just came to me... I created a one piece pattern that worked like a charm, and now I can use this same formula for all sizes of doll heads... Although this was a tedious task, the result was Fabulous! I used the black corduroy and trimmed the brim with red embroidery floss that I twisted like a rope... I used a little red stud at the top and Voila... perfect poorboy cap!
I also made up a shopping bag for Susie to take along to High Street... It is made of Clear Vinyl with black stitching and a Red vinyl clasp that locks into a lucite bead... I added clear handles and a 'Mary Quant' flower to the front of it... I think it's just the thing to complete her little outfit!
Well... I am pretty much ready for pics!

Day 7 (Wednesday)

Oh Man... I tried to take my pictures last night before dark... my Son and Grandson came for a swim, and so I lost all track of time... They didn't turn out... :(
Have to take them again this morning and get this all packed up to ship by 4 pm... Yikes!
After dressing Susie for pictures last night, I thought about adding a little 'bar pin' to her jacket... I searched everywhere in my stash for something small enough... I ended up taking this teeny filigree ball apart and flattening it... I used a teeny tiny gold bead and hung it from it... sewed it to her jacket... Just the effect I wanted!
oh... I forgot that she had no undies to wear with this outfit... Just made up a little pair of red thong underwear... :)

6 pm

Susie's Cool outfit is on it's way to New York... Sent by XPRESSPOST 4pm...
I was a little panicked this afternoon, but it all worked out great!
I would have to say that this is the Challenge that I feel most confident about! Even if I dont win this Challenge, I am extremely proud of what I accomplished!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I loved your design. It's my favorite. I am amazed at the detail you got on that tiny doll. It's cool that you came up with a hat pattern that you will be able to use for other dolls.

darlingdivadurelle said...

You had me at first glance on the runway show today. I am in ahwww of your London design. It is so well designed and tailored and so crisp. Love – love - love the plaid jumper, (great colors) it is tough to get a plaid to work on any small doll but you did it with ease here. The pleating details were awesome and the Eisenhower style jacket was wonderful and a good solution to this small doll. All of the jacket details were scaled perfectly. And ...OH that purse....yummmy..... So cute.. Love it! Loose the hat did not need it. Congratulations ... wonderful results.
Your are still one of my top 3 picks to win the overall ... keep up the great work..
Dollie-ON,
DURelle