Saturday, December 8, 2007





11:30 pm
I have decided to go with 'Grace Kelly' in 'Rear Window' by Alfred Hitchcock..
Using her opening scene with the Black & White full skirted cocktail dress...
Now the work begins... I have some thoughts on style of dress and fabrics... I'll be heading out to the Fabric Store tomorrow.
I am going to watch the movie right now!
Day 3 (Saturday)
Watching 'Rear Window' last night really helped me to better understand why a Black & White Cocktail dress was used for her opening scene... I got a sense that 'Lisa' was to appear 'Fresh' and 'Vibrant' in contrast to the Muted Tones of the very hot and humid surroundings... It worked effectively to bring her to the center of the scene. Definitely a Character Defining dress!
I have many ideas spinning around in my head and my trip to the Fabric store today should help eliminate some of them.
10 pm
I was able to buy some wonderful fabrics today... Just in case I decide to use them...
There was a huge sale on so, of course I bought way more than I went for! LOL
I have pretty much decided to stay with the Black & White theme for this dress for several reasons:
It works!
Black & White are extremely classic and most of the ICONIC dresses that we know of today are Black, White and of course there is that PINK one... ;)
They are 'Crisp' colours... not muddy, which contrast beautifully with the background of muted tones in her opening scene.
Since this is to be a 'Paris' original dress from 1954 I feel that Black &/or White would be a perfect choice for a couture dress.
I will also keep the basic idea of a Full skirt and a fitted bodice... I may use some lace overlay... still deciding on that... Hope to make up the pattern tomorrow and start sewing!
Day 4 (Sunday)
No sewing today... Grandkids came for the day...
Still no firm decision on what I want to Make! Hope I can figure this out by tomorrow... time is running out ACK!
Day 5 (Monday)
7 am
I managed to get going on my dress last night once my grandkids left ...
I stayed up all night! I am glad I did, as I made progress and feel confident that I am making a dress that will be perfect for 'Lisa'!
I decided on a wonderful Black/White polka dotted textured chiffon... The dots are larger than scale... I love the look and I think it works perfectly... I have the dress bodice and skirt done and sewn together... The 'collar' detail will be made from satin lycra material.
Off to nap for a few hours...
Day 6 (Tuesday)
I completed the dress except for snaps and hand sewing last night... what a job it was hemming it, as the skirt is really full... 2 complete circles wide!
I also made up a pearl necklace and drop earrings and a black patent clutch bag with bow detail... I lined the clutch in RED as my favorite vintage patent purses from the 50's always have red lining!
I also made a pair of short gloves... first I made white ones, but they looked horrible on Alex... her hands are huge! I then made up a pair of black mesh gloves and they look much better... I added 3 tiny pearl beads to each glove as well as a 'tuck' down the center mimicking vintage gloves that I have in my own collection. I added a piece of white Tulle as a wrap, as in the movie she removes her wrap, and gloves in this scene so I felt they were both necessary.
Day 7 (Wednesday)
Busy day today!
Pictures were done by 1:30 and they turned out great!
I took some pictures of Alex in the dress and felt they were ok, but I also own a Brenda Starr doll that my daughter Vanessa painted for me to resemble Grace Kelly... Once I put the dress on her I knew it was exactly what I was trying to achieve! :) It is amazing how a doll can make such a difference to the outfit!
Dress and Accessories wrapped up ready to go to Purolator...
*Sent by 4 pm Overnight to NY

1 comment:

darlingdivadurelle said...

GReat design Debbie.. clearly an Iconic Dress to me. I am feeling good about this one for you. She may be a winner! I love the poke-a-dots. The neck line is stunning. I have to say that it looked great on your Brenda Starr. (much better) but the good news is everyones outfit was on an Alex,,,ugh!
To me your design best represented the ICON element of the challenge.
Dollie-ON,
Durelle